Open leg rocker is one of my favorite Pilates exercises. It is an elegant abdominal workout that stretches your back and massages your spine. Open leg rocker needs a lot of body and mind control.
How to do Pilates Open leg rocker
I would recommend doing the Spine stretch forward before Open leg rocker. This exercise will help you stretch your hamstrings and prepare you for the Open leg rocker.
- Sit down on the mat. Scoot yourself to the front of the mat. Sit tall with your knees bent in toward your chest.
- Open your knees to shoulder/mat width distance and grab your ankles or calves.
- Extend one leg out for flexibility. Bring it back and extend the other leg out. You don´t have to stretch it all the way.
- Pull your belly button into the spine, feet off the floor, stretch both legs out shoulder-distance apart (not wilder) and lean back until you are balancing on your tailbone. Keep your abs activated. Looking like open V position. Keep balance.
- Arms are straight. Chin on the chest. Nice scooped belly and your back is in nice C curve position (round back).
- Inhale, roll back to the bottom of your shoulder blades. Do not roll onto your neck. Head doesn´t touch the floor. Keep your V position trying to touch the floor.
- Exhale, use your powerhouse (abs) to come back up.
- Sit up tall with a straight back.
- Repeat 6 x
- Bring your legs together leaving them in the air and lay down.
Tip: imagine yourself in a rocking chair.
The more advanced version is with straight legs, knees and feet together.
If you are having a hard time, just strengthen your legs without rocking. Or, hold behind your calves but not knees.