Pilates saw is an intermediate level exercise.
Why do I love this exercise? For back and hamstring stretch, and working the waistline.
How to do The Saw
- Sit tall, with legs extended, opened slightly wider than the mat. Feet flexed.
- Reach your arms out to the side – airplane wings.
- Inhale, pull your navel up and into your spine. Twist from your waist to the left carrying your arms with you. Your opposite hip stays on the mat.
- Exhale, take a little finger towards a little toe. Stretch your head toward the little toe and reach your left arm back, palm up. Sawing motion, reach a little further 1 – 2- 3.
- Inhale, come back up. Exhale center, sit up tall and do the other side.
Imagine you are sitting in a block of cement. Your lower body can´t move as you reach for your baby toe.
You can sit on a cushion if your hamstrings are too tight. Or, bend your knees. Your flexibility will improve.